Thread: notes app that can import the mint notes app well

Beans

notes app that can import the mint notes app well

i'm planning to switch to ubuntu
    i want to ask..
    is there a notes app in ubuntu similar to the one that mint has?

i want to import all my notes well in such app..

is there such thing?

if not, is it risky installing ppa for the mint app to be installed on ubuntu?

tnks
    and love from israel..
    my desktop computer will soon have the latest ubuntu. currently running linux mint

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: notes app that can import the mint notes app well

Do you mean Linux Mint? If so, just use the same program. https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/12/...tes-app-ubuntu

I was running Ubuntu as my desktop from about 2006 - 2022, when I switched to Linux Mint to avoid some of the choices Canonical had made to force certain package types onto users. I still have lots of Ubuntu systems around, just not my desktop.

You are the first I've heard even considering going from Mint --> Ubuntu. At my LUG, about 30% use Linux Mint. Oddly, the 2nd most popular distro there is MXLinux (a type of debian without systemd). Then we have a few Arch and Fedora guys.
    Last edited by TheFu; 1 Week Ago at 01:43 PM.

Beans

yes,
    so am i safe to go with this link that you added? it requires a new ppa..
    tnx
    my desktop computer will soon have the latest ubuntu. currently running linux mint

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjjjg8885 View Post
    yes,
    so am i safe to go with this link that you added? it requires a new ppa..
    tnx
    Safe is a judgement call. Only you can decide if the PPA is reputable for your needs. Every repo or PPA effectively has root access to your system. If you are running code from a project already and they have a PPA, there is already some level of trust. After all, running software under your userid gives that software all the same access that you have on the system already.

I stick with core repos from Canonical and PPAs only from the specific project team responsible for the software. Some say that I'm overly cautious. With all the 3rd parties trying to corrupt the software development on F/LOSS project teams (especially Java, Javascript, and php libraries), I'm happy to choose tools that are available from the core places.

I use vim for taking notes and vim-wiki to keep them organized. I tried about 20 different methods before deciding that vim-based tools were best for my needs. To each their own. Lots of people seem to like CherryTree. https://opensource.com/article/19/5/...ree-notetaking

Beans

ok..
    would it be very simple to import notes from the linux mint app to cherrytree?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjjjg8885 View Post
    would it be very simple to import notes from the linux mint app to cherrytree?
    Does the Linux Mint notes application have any Export capability? If so, what formats does it support?

Does the CherrTree application have any Import capability? If so, what formats does it support?

Are any of the Export ---> Import formats the same? Use one of those. You know, you can load CherryTree on Mint and try it BEFORE you swap OSes.

Beans

at the end i copied and pasted manually into the new notes app [cherrytree]

i didn't see any way to import json files..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why didn't you stick with the Mint Notes application?
    Did CherryTree seem like a better tool for your needs?

CherryTree supports about 20 different import methods: https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytreemanual/#_importing
    Export support is less impressive. Will you be stuck with a new tool that can't easily export to the next tool you choose? Whenever I'm picking a new tool, I look for how trapped my data will be BEFORE I transition. After the transition, it is too late.

I'm curious.
    Last edited by TheFu; 1 Week Ago at 01:46 PM.

Beans

Did CherryTree seem like a better tool for your needs?
    yes
    i don't have many notes.
    i can switch manually