Thread: Win 10 vs Win 11 Removing and Keeping Microsoft Spy Tech Out of Win Install

Beans

Win 10 vs Win 11 Removing and Keeping Microsoft Spy Tech Out of Win Install

Last Win OS I've used was 7. When it Win7 went under on my PC over a year ago, I've been strictly on Kubuntu. However, I want to start gaming again, and I'm thinking of installing Win 10 or 11.

I've been watching a lot of videos on how to disable a lot of Microsoft's "Features," that allow them to look at everything a user does on the user's machines. The question I have is this.

These questions are for people who've used both Win10 and Win11, and have gone through the steps of disabling the spytech in both Windows versions.

Is there there no difference between 10 and 11 that gives Microsoft a sneaky way of evading the disabling their telemetry features so that they can keep spying on you. Or is there an advantage, for the user to use one or the other when rigging the install free of Microsoft spytech?

Also, which is better? Or, which is more effective? Safer Networking Spybot Anti-Beacon, or O&O ShutUp10?

In the end, my Win10 or Win11 install (don't know which I'll go for. It depends on what I learn from you guys) will be purely for gaming, nothing else. My Kubuntu machine will do all of the rest of my Internet surfing, documents, etc...

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Win 10 vs Win 11 Removing and Keeping Microsoft Spy Tech Out of Win Install

I have both and you can disable some invasive telemetry in the privacy settings, but you are bound to MS severs on both operating systems. I would use Win 11 just because it is supported longer , but it has a 9th gen + Intel or AMD equivalent CPU requirement. My recommendation would be to avoid edge browser witch is heavily mired in MS user data collection and remove Onedrive. Avoid or disable the builtin news feeder which opens edge browser if you choose to read the content. If you use edge don't sign in. There is a 3rd party de-bloater script but it is use at your own risk.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; August 6th, 2023 at 01:07 AM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I didn't know about the CPU requirement. That's good to know. Thank you for your reply. I'll look at 11, first. If I'm O.K. on the CPU department, then I'll with that. Thanks!

If anyone else has other tips and tricks, I'm all ears! Thanks!

Beans

For gaming the performance benefits of windows 10 over 11 are pretty significant. Windows 11 is a heavy weight OS, that will take over 4gb of ram without any applications running. BUT windows 11 is the only one that will get updates for things like direct x and .net so if you want to do newer gaming you are stuck working with windows 11. To resolve the privacy/security concerns I would separate your computer usage from the windows environment. Good luck ; d

The main thing you have to watch out for with windows 11 when configuring it for gaming performance is that attempting to turn off a variety of different services will break your entire install. It's far more intrusive compared to windows 10 or 7 when it comes to it's overall design scheme.
    Last edited by hyperlinxe; April 12th, 2024 at 08:57 PM.