Thread: can't enter wifi security password, locked, red highlight

Beans

can't enter wifi security password, locked, red highlight

i've spent all day on the net looking for someone who's experienced this, but for the first time in about 10 yrs, no one -- went from 16.04 to 18.04, now when prompted to enter my router password, the box is locked, red highlighted -- i'm ok on ethernet, and the system detects my routers wifi signal, but i can't enter the password -- also, on the general tab, i can't activate "all users may connect to this network" because the "save" button is not functional.

Beans

Re: can't enter wifi security password, locked, red highlight

fixed! -- this was a fresh install, cause the upgrade messed up a lot of stuff -- the solution to no wifi was to re-install, and this time during the install, not enable automatic login -- i had tried to disable it before the re-install, by editing the folder custom.conf, but it had no effect -- easily might have done something wrong -- but since i had not yet restored my home folder, re-install was easy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: can't enter wifi security password, locked, red highlight

FYI automatic login is really really NOT recommended.
    Even the current Windows version doesn't allow it by default and makes it harder than ever to explicitly enable it. Surely there's a reason. Please learn good practices. Enjoy.