Thread: kde and jellyfish...

Beans

Unhappy kde and jellyfish...

Hello! today i downloaded kde on ubuntu jellyfish with gnome, then icons changed , terminal stopped working , i can't use sudo... how can i fix this without reinstalling OS?

Beans

Re: kde and jellyfish...

when i use sudo: sudo: /usr/bin/sudo должен принадлежать пользователю с uid 0 и иметь бит setuid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Gnome (i.e Ubuntu 22.04) is a desktop environment
    Kde (i.e. Kubuntu 22..04) is a desktop environment

It is not advisable to have two desktop environments together with all the applications on one system.

Assuming that you have only recently installed Ubuntu, my advice is:-
    Backup your data.
    Install from scratch the flavour you like.
    Restore your data.

If you are unsure about your flavour choice, then use live sessions to explore and evaluate.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by izakter-v22 View Post
    when i use sudo: sudo: /usr/bin/sudo должен принадлежать пользователю с uid 0 и иметь бит setuid

Could you translate that? Hint: prepend LANG=C_LANG to the command to disable translations to your native language:
    Code:
    LANG=C_LANG sudo some_command

Beans

/usr/bin/sudo must be owned by user with uid 0 and setuid bit

Beans

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Personally I'm a lover of having multiple desktops installed on my system(s), however I don't know how to respond as you've provided few specifics.

What package(s) did you install to get KDE? `kubuntu-desktop` or something else?

I tend to use the large meta packages like `kubuntu-desktop` as you can experience problems if you don't install all packages required by a DE; but I don't know what you installed.

Icons changed but no specific clues. A link to a picture may have helped here, but many things can change when using another DE to change configuration/settings, and you're new to how the interact with each other.

Terminal not working? Are you talking about `gnome-terminal` or `konsole` or something else? as adding another desktop means you normally have multiple terminals installed (one using KDE/Qt5 libraries; the other using your prior GTK libs) but no specifics. Or do you just mean Ctrl+Alt+T doesn't work (that is a different thing and can occur as it's not a KDE shortcut).

Your later message however says "/usr/bin/sudo must be owned by user with uid 0 and setuid bit " which is a permissions issue; and unrelated to GNOME/KDE at all. That is a more serious permissions issue that confuses me as doesn't relate to desktops; thus I'll skip it. That is more likely the result of a bad `chmod` command

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by izakter-v22 View Post
    /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by user with uid 0 and setuid bit
    That is a serious error. It's unrelated to installing KDE.

This can be fixed, assuming it's the only thing wrong. You have to boot in recovery mode and fix the permissions. However, in my experience, this is rarely the only thing wrong. Broken permissions on /usr/bin/sudo usually result from applying chmod or chown on all files in /usr/bin, causing such severe damage that the only realistic way forward is reinstalling. Sometimes it's the result of filesystem damage, like a broken hard drive. Let's see...
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/bin/sudo
    ls -l /usr/bin | grep -v '^lrwxrwxrwx\|^-rwxr-xr-x'
    The first command will show the permissions of sudo, which should start with
    Code:
    -rwsr-xr-x  root  root
    and the second will show all files in /usr/bin that are not symlinks and don't have the most common set of permissions. It should list about 20 files.

Beans

kubuntu-desktop

Beans

i am talking about all terminals. I cant use sudo. Icons of all folders , disks , apps changed. I cant send screenshots now, sorry (